How to Keep Pets Safe During Halloween

Some pet parents think sweet treats are okay in moderation, but you never know how a dog's body will respond to chocolate.

Sugar is another ingredient in commercial chocolates that dogs should avoid entirely. Dogs and cats who eat sugar may develop gastrointestinal upset, cavities, obesity, and even diabetes.

The sugar-free flavor additive xylitol is even more harmful than chocolate and sugar combined. Xylitol's sweet flavor, fast-acting effects, and widespread use pose a considerable risk to the canine community.

According to the Pet Poison Helpline, glow sticks are another common item dogs ingest on Halloween, second only to candy and raisins.

Blaring music, spooky recordings, screams, and boisterous kids are just some of the sounds your pets may encounter on All Hallows' Eve.

Pumpkin may be one of your dog's favorite table foods, but decomposing porch pumpkin should not be on the menu.

Like humans, flashing lights can trigger seizures in dogs and cats with a history of photosensitive epilepsy.

Few things are cuter than a dressed-up doggy, but not all costumes for dogs are entirely safe. Tight clothing can cause irritation, hair loss, and interfere with walking.